Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#94894 - 03/14/03 06:51 PM Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

Loc: Cheese Land
You may have seen some of those e-bay ads with the "timing mod" that supposedly gives you 20hp on your fuel injected vehicle. You may also be aware that it's just a cheap resistor that sends false mass air flow readings to the computer. It's a good bet these things don't work. In fact, it's possible they can even cause you problems. The distributorless 4.6 modder who wants to adjust his timing is pretty much limited to spending lots of $ on a chip or some other sort of computer modification.

But what about us folks with distributor ignition engines? Heh, we've got it easy. Got a wrench? Good, that's all you need. You can adjust your timing in minutes for free. Interested?

The folks who will get the most out of this are people with carburated engines with no computer controls. Still, it should work on an EFI 5.0 too.

Run the engine until it is up to normal operating tempterature.
Pop your hood, find your distributor. Look down the shaft to where it goes inside the engine, you should notice a bolt holding down a piece of metal that is pushing on the distributor. This is a clamp, it keeps your distributor from turning. Here's a pic of my 460's distributor with an arrow pointing to the clamp.

You need to loosen the bolt, just enough so that the distributor can turn freely, this usually isnt much more than breaking it loose. On some cars, the bolt might be hard to get at. On mine a standard 1/2" wrench will do it but it barely fits. There are specialy curved wrenches available for just this purpose though. Make sure all vaccum lines are connected or plugged.
NOTE: If you were using a timing light and you had a vehicle that had a vaccum line connected to the distributor, you would remove that line and plug it. However, the method I am explaing here does not require a timing light and you need to leave all vaccum lines hooked up for it to work properly.

WARNING: the next part of this procedure must be done with the engine running. Be very careful around the fan and belts. Don't wear any jewlery or loose clothing. Also, just keep in mind that the engine is warm and the metal parts are going to be hot so you want to avoid touching them. But, if you do, don't feel too stupid. It happens.

Additional Note: It might be helpful to put a mark on the distributor so that if your new timing doesn't work out you will be able to find the old position.

Start the engine and let it run at idle. Grab the distributor and slowly rotate it. I know on most Ford V8s, rotating it clockwise will advance the timing, which is what you want for performance. Other engines may be different. If you start rotating the thing clockwise and the engine slows down or runs rough then just turn it the other way .
Your goal here is to rotate the distributor until the engine is running fastest. You can do this by listening to it, or if you have a tach and somone to watch it for you do it that way. Once you find your motor's "sweet spot" shut it off and tighten the bolt back down, being careful not to move the distributor while doing so.

Take your car for a test drive. Listen to your engine run carefuly. If you are getting any pinging or backfiring then you've advanced the timing too far. Go home, retard it a little, then try again.

isn't that easy?
On my 460, I was able to advance my timing quite a bit with no consequences and a decent gain in power and acceleration.

Disclaimer:
Your results may vary. Neither I nor CVN will be held responsible for any injuries or for any damage to your vehicle.

They don't make 'em like they used to..

Interested in a REAL Full-Size car? Try The Classics Forum

#94895 - 03/22/03 07:31 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
rea98d Offline
Over the Hill

What's this do for fuel economy?

#94896 - 04/23/03 03:10 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra
mephistopheles Offline
Climber

Fuel economy? What fuel economy??

"Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot."

Smith's Intelligence Constant Theorem:
1) The amount of intelligence in the universe is a constant.
2) The population is growing.
3) Intelligence is not being spread evenly over the growing population.

#94897 - 04/23/03 07:23 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
SteveS Offline
Administrator
Posting Addict

Loc: Groveland, MA
It is very risky to grab the distributor, especially if your nuts are anywhere near anything metal... You can get one Hell of a shock just where you don't want one. I used to leave my distributor hold down just a little loose, and adjust it by tapping on the advance unit with a mallet. Whatever you do, use the advance to adjust it, not the distributor cap.

Engines of your vintage were always retarded... It was an easy way to reduce emissions. One can usually advance the spark quite a bit beyond the specified value.

#94898 - 04/23/03 09:55 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

hmm.... that's a good point. if you have really old wires that you're not sure about (like my old ones that had 1977 stamped on them) it might be a good idea to replace those wires with something with reliable insulation. Actually if you have stock wires and plugs in something as old as a barge it's not a bad idea to replace them anyway.

#94899 - 04/25/03 12:44 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
p71towny Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Ft. Wayne IN
I dont recommend advancing it until it idles the fastest. I usually have a buddy hold the brake and throw it in reverse, then bump the rpm to around 2,500-3,000 and advance to where it speeds up all the way and then back it down a hair. Before I did this I would usually get ping at WOT but this usually eliminates this.
1995 Town Car, flowmaster 50's, gutted cats, gutted evap system, cold air tube, MMairbox & 80mm maf, K&N air filter, DR chip, 180 thermostat, 22pp plugs, Steeda underdrive pulleys w/gatorback belt, transgo shift kit, cross-drilled rotors w/performance friction pads, addco swaybars front and rear, poly bushings, edelbrock IAS shocks all around, deleted mechanical fan, Kenwood MP4028 w/kenwood 6x9's and 6x8's and more to come

1982 Crown Vic LTD 2dr No air pump or cats, cragar ss's, dual exhaust, tach, volt, oil, temp gauges.

#94900 - 04/28/03 06:50 AM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra
Mr_pogo Offline
Over the Hill

Just a couple of things that may or may not help.

I dont know if they are still made but we used to use distributor advance kits, came with replacement weights and springs for the centrifugal advance. You would mix/match the parts to get the best performance without pinging.
One other sign of base ignition timing advanced too far is hard cranking, sounds as if the starter is fighting engine compression. Not really a prob on stock smog motors back then but I remember some performance cam grinds could aggravate this.

#94901 - 05/09/03 09:52 AM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
oldmopars Offline

Loc: Yelm Wa
???????
Has anyone here heard of an inductive timing light?
They are easy to use, fairly cheap for a basic unit and saves time and damage to your engine. Each engine is different, you need to know what the factory setting is, then advance from there. Its best to bump it up in 2 deg increments untill you get a ping and then back off to the last setting.
I do not like the "touchy-feely" mode of timing an engine.
BTW, advanced timing will help increase the mileage.

1990 Ford Counrty Squire Wagon (gone)
1991 Mercury Grand Marquis
1991 Ford Crown Victoria
1983 Ford Ranger with CVPI wheels (does that count?)

#94902 - 05/09/03 05:55 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
Kinger87 Offline

Poobah

Loc: Gladstone MI
LOL yea I tried the touch feely method on my brothers caprice...major pingage or major lack of acceleration. Got a timin light, set the timing, and voila, no pinging, good acceleration.

2003 Grand marquis all stock

#94903 - 07/14/03 09:36 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
Big_Bad_Joe Offline

Poobah

Loc: Rochester NY
Adjusting the timing without a timing light is ridiculous.. nobody does that.... there is no such thing as feel...

maybe 50 years ago.. but not your car Cowman.. get a timing light.. then ask a local ford guy or someone on here where to start with that 460 Ford of yours and adjust it from there....

Didn't you put a cam and pistons in that bad boy and a new intake on it? You need to set the timing properly...

Given to DG in Ohio

2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL, Pearl White

2000 HPP RESURECTION RIP 8/17/2012 died in Dayton OH

#94904 - 07/14/03 10:37 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra
Cowman Offline
The allmighty Cow
Grand Poobah

I have a timing light already, and back when the car was stock I set the timing to stock with the timing light(actually it didn't really need adjustment IIRC. At that time the car could barely chirp the tires from a stoplight on an average day. I advanced the timing by light with a slight improvement but nothing big. Then I had a friend show me the adjusting by ear thing... we tried that and there was a very noticable improvement off the line, top end was just as good as before if not better, and MPG remained the same. No knocking, no pinging. I would call that good results. You need to realize a couple of things about mid-late 70s and some early 80s ford ignitions:

1. Most of them were running in older engines that were designed for points type ignitions and no polution controls. When the EPA started putting the pressure on, Ford simply adapted their old designs to meet regulations. One of the big things they did to the 460(and other motors) was to retard the ignition timing and the valve timing quite a bit. This gives you less emissions from the tailpipe but it lowers performance.

2. While it's not inacurate to say that my car has a computer in it, it's not much of one. There is a module on the fender , and a sensor in the distributor. It is little more than a replacement for points that were used in the early 460. The sensor consists of a wheel on the distributor shaft with 8 blades on it, and a pickup that it spins next to. When a blade passes by the pickup it sends an analog signal to the ignition module, which simply triggers the coil to fire a spark. A modern panther's ignition computer will adjust the timing based on temperature, O2 sensor readings, engine speed, engine load, and I'm sure a few other things. My computer does none of that. The timing is adjusted for engine load and engine speed but it's done mechanicaly with engine vaccum and a set of counterweights on the distributor shaft that operate using centrifugal force. If I wanted the headache I could go to a junkyard, pull the non-electronic points type distributor(similar to the ones used on 50 year old cars) out of a late 60's 460, drop it in, and it would work. The big advantage to the Duraspark II system over points is that you don't have to adjust/replace points all the time and since you have no contacts to burn out, you can run a hotter spark.

3. because of the way my advance adjust works, for a timing light to be accurate you have to be at idle, and you have to remove the vaccum line from the distributor and plug it so that the reading on the flywheel will be right. While you have the vaccum line unplugged the car runs like crap so there is no way to tell by ear what's going on. All you can do is set it by the numbers. The way I do it, you leave the vaccum line hooked up and the idle sounds right so you can actually hear the changes.

NOTE: I know on my truck with a 5.8l that there is no vaccum hookup for the advace, I imagine they eliminated the centrifugal counterweights too. I think that any of the engines using the thin film ignition module(the one that's mounted on the distributor) have a fully electronic advance system so in that case you would be correct, it's most likely best to set those with a light.

#94905 - 07/14/03 10:42 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra
Ronman® Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: MCO
Not to brag, but I've set dozens of SBCs, 5.0s, 4.9s, 318s and 360s to +/- <2* by ear.
It is doable, you just gotta play with it a while. It's a neat party trick, too.

#94906 - 07/15/03 05:07 AM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
SmokinDave Offline
Over the Hill

This article makes me miss my old '73 Torino. So easy to work on. The method you described brought back a lot of memories!

But what amazes me is how many members here talk about this like it's something they've never heard of. I remember the days when, if no timing light was available, it was common to tweak the timing by ear and even bump it up a bit, then use higher-octane gas to kill the pinging.
"(Do You Remember) Rock 'n Roll Radio?"

#94907 - 07/15/03 08:02 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
Ronman® Offline
Metroplectic

Loc: MCO
Yep, my old man taught me well, Dave...

#94908 - 07/15/03 09:26 PM Re: Tech Article- Classic Timing Mod- FREE! extra HP
SteveS Offline
Administrator
Posting Addict

Loc: Groveland, MA
One can adjust the idle mixture by ear, or with a tachometer and a vacuum gauge. With a little experience, one can set the initial timing by ear and feel!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BigNSlow, RF_Overlord 
Who's Online
3 registered (LTC_Dave, bluejay_32, 1 invisible), 81 Guests and 355 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Email Login
EMail Login Name
Password
 New users, sign up!
Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 196
BigMerc96 79
ClayBelt 77
Old_Guy_Stu 66
a_d_a_m 65
Moby_Vic 62
Ponyguy 61
TheCableGuy 56
Psxmoe 46
RF_Overlord 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!