Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4092774 - 01/22/21 12:38 PM Rear Sway Bar Bushings Part Number
PickledVic Offline
n00b

Loc: NYC
I'm planning on adding a 1 inch rear swap bar. While the sway bar comes with poly bushings, I'd like to go the Thermoplastic route.

Was wondering if I could use the following universal bushing (I'll be using the appropriate hardware):

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k90400

Edited by PickledVic (01/22/21 12:39 PM)

----------------
Current mods:
ROH rims (came with the car)
Tints
Spectre air filter
Throttle body spacer
KYB Gas Adjust Shocks

Links
#4092808 - 01/22/21 05:34 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushings Part Number [Re: PickledVic]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
I think they'll work fine but I am curious as to why the blue over the ones that come with the bar. I put in the included poly bushings when I did it in early 2000s, they've been all over the US, no wear, or rather they are still tight. No squeaks. Mine is a 1" Addco 650 in back, and the 1-1/4 Addco 509 in front, all poly bushed except for the top of the end links on the rear.

My biggest worry is the frame mount where the rear bar's end links attach, so I check them when I have the car where I can inspect them. I intend to reinforce the mounting points but so far the oversized (in diameter) bushings seem to work. The upper ends of the links are bushed with some rubber shock bushings that were unused from a set of police car shocks. They are about 2" OD. That area of the cross member has been known to crack around the holes and I figure the larger OD of the shock bushings better spreads the load than the much smaller poly bushings usually used.

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...
... and now my name appears in "Fat Sharpie Red " across my screen. shrug

#4092908 - 01/23/21 10:42 AM Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushings Part Number [Re: CrystalPistol]
PickledVic Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
I think they'll work fine but I am curious as to why the blue over the ones that come with the bar. I put in the included poly bushings when I did it in early 2000s, they've been all over the US, no wear, or rather they are still tight. No squeaks. Mine is a 1" Addco 650 in back, and the 1-1/4 Addco 509 in front, all poly bushed except for the top of the end links on the rear.

My biggest worry is the frame mount where the rear bar's end links attach, so I check them when I have the car where I can inspect them. I intend to reinforce the mounting points but so far the oversized (in diameter) bushings seem to work. The upper ends of the links are bushed with some rubber shock bushings that were unused from a set of police car shocks. They are about 2" OD. That area of the cross member has been known to crack around the holes and I figure the larger OD of the shock bushings better spreads the load than the much smaller poly bushings usually used.

Would prefer Thermoplastic (blue) as it's supposed to be improved design over OEM. Not trying to use poly bushings as they require regular greasing / tend to squeak.

Edited by PickledVic (01/23/21 10:43 AM)

----------------
Current mods:
Tints
Spectre air filter
Throttle body spacer
KYB Gas Adjust Shocks

#4092952 - 01/23/21 12:48 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushings Part Number [Re: PickledVic]
CrystalPistol Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Shenandoah Valley
Originally Posted By PickledVic

Would prefer Thermoplastic (blue) as it's supposed to be improved design over OEM. Not trying to use poly bushings as they require regular greasing / tend to squeak.
OEM is rubber, they will squeak.

Not arguing but just to say I put mine in place in 2002, I have never needed to grease them since installing, I greased them then by hand then at install as an aid to install/adjust.

I put a Hellwig 1-1/8" rear bar on my '07 F-150, poly bushings, and poly bushed end links too with a dab of grease rubbed on so I could slide into position easier.

Never have I heard a squeak. The Mercury has been through SW deserts, heard grit in the windows but never a sway bar squeak.

I know that some sway bars come with grease fittings in the straps, but I've never seen need of them.

My '77 F-150 has 14 pieces of red polyurethane bushings installed in the '80s, never a squeak there either.

Yeah, I tend to keep them awhile.

WTH?

facepalm I signed it ...
... and now my name appears in "Fat Sharpie Red " across my screen. shrug

#4092974 - 01/23/21 01:51 PM Re: Rear Sway Bar Bushings Part Number [Re: CrystalPistol]
PickledVic Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By CrystalPistol
Originally Posted By PickledVic

OEM is rubber, they will squeak.

Definitely NOT going with OEM 🤣.. I'm going to try the Thermoplastic out, if they don't work out, I'll have the poly bushings on hands as they come with the sway bar.

Thanks for the input!

----------------
Current mods:
Tints
Spectre air filter
Throttle body spacer
KYB Gas Adjust Shocks

Who's Online
9 registered (a_d_a_m, Bluwaggo, Enitalp, Nexuz21, ClemSparks, Moby_Vic, 1 invisible), 62 Guests and 186 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 325
CrystalPistol 309
a_d_a_m 224
Rainbowpizza 154
DudeAbides 140
Moby_Vic 100
JeffBoudah 97
Old_Guy_Stu 82
Ponyguy 76
Bangster 58
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!