Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4103958 - 04/04/21 04:51 PM Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas
bspurloc Offline
Climber

Loc: New England
BEFORE you jump to a reply READ everything I have done.

Issue: I have a metal on metal noise when I turn right over 20mph'ish sounds like right side.

HISTORY of whats been done...
1> Replaced right axle and bearing. noise still present
2> differential blew up so whole rear end was replaced, I never saw what blew up. symptoms no gearing car just rolled in park no drive. assuming spider gear broke? noise still present
3> replace rotors pads all around car. noise still present
4> replaced left and right axle along with bearings. noise still present
5> took out all parking brake hardware from right side drove around noise still present
6> replaced right ABS sensor. noise still present. (old one had signs of scraping shop above who did rear end may have put wrong one in) (this may be it though)
7> parking brake springs are installed CORRECTLY they are not rubbing the ABS ring from being installed upside down. noise still present

So I'm at a loss as to what this noise is.
It is possible my original rear end had a bad right pinion bearing and this used replacement rear end also has a bad right pinion bearing...

So will a pinion bearing only grind when turning right???

Edited by bspurloc (04/04/21 04:54 PM)

Links
#4103972 - 04/04/21 07:37 PM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
TheCableGuy Online   content
Climber

Loc: Far Northwest AZ
I’m gonna go on a limb and say rear control arms or the watts linkage...

I’m a classical textbook over-thinker.

#4103998 - 04/04/21 11:24 PM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: TheCableGuy]
bspurloc Offline
Climber

Originally Posted By TheCableGuy
I’m gonna go on a limb and say rear control arms or the watts linkage...

Ok I have a new right rear upper control arm.
But why would those make a metal on metal rubbing noise?
its a rotational noise.
the lower control arms are original though.

it totally when turning right, if I quickly moving wheel left it stops.
with the rear end in the air I can pull in out both axles slightly. but I believe that is normal, as the only thing holding the axles inside the differential is 2 C clips. so in out there will always be play as the cclip is not slammed in.
there is a center thick pin, both axles push inwards you put cclip on pull axle out put center pin in.
so turning right I think that makes the right axle push in. so maybe it hits the PIN??? or maybe its hitting the axle tube?
blah... but this was happening with the other rear end too.
ugh

#4104016 - 04/05/21 01:38 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
TheShadow Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: SoCal High Desert
Originally Posted By bspurloc

it totally when turning right, if I quickly moving wheel left it stops.

so turning right I think that makes the right axle push in. so maybe it hits the PIN??? or maybe its hitting the axle tube?
blah... but this was happening with the other rear end too.
ugh

At first glance, this does sound like a weird one. I wouldn't think the axle pushing against the center pin would be making that noise...that would indicate very low or nonexistent rear gear oil. And knowing how meticulous you can be...

A couple of thoughts...
Are you Absolutely sure the noise is coming from the rear, and not the front?

How's the exhaust hangers? If there were sufficient play there, something might come close enough to the driveshaft to rub...

There's an outside possibility the noise is coming from midships, and being transmitted to your ears through the floorpan. Like maybe a worn out rear tranny bushing that gets starved of oil during a fast right turn?
Taxicab mechanic: I HATE DRIVERS!

#4104026 - 04/05/21 06:03 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I'd look at the FRONT wheel bearings.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019 & Aug 2020, 55K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
1988 CVLX (Destroyer) 1998-2001 driven to death 202K
1988 Squire (Chris Craft) 1996-1998 junkyard rescue driven to death 199K

#4104036 - 04/05/21 09:54 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
UnkleVic Offline
Rookie

Loc: US Gulf Coast
Lift it and listen with a stethoscope or hose.

#4104040 - 04/05/21 11:14 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
2011LX Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SE WI
Is this something as simple as a slightly bent backing plate, making contact with the rotor only when the axle end play is taken up?
Medium Light Stone interior

#4104078 - 04/05/21 02:11 PM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: TheShadow]
bspurloc Offline
Climber

Thanks for all this new insight.
230,000 miles on car it did get T boned on right side lower center at around 190k. so over the years I have had odd things fail. front right bear, front right spring, front right arm end, rear upper control arm.

I know the front right bearing was replaced like 7 years ago by my cousin. the left side never.

I should not be low on axle lube as I filled it recently after replacing axles. and I watch my garage closely for leaks.
tranny was replaced a few years back by a good shop but its something I can look at.
The exhaust seems pretty solid, I cant move it, its original.

The backing plate im pretty sure I made sure werent touching. ive lifted the car and pulled on wheels turning them and hear nothing at all except driveshaft and differential.

I suppose it is possible its the front bearings.
Its crazy because it sounds directly in the back!
But I have chased ghost noises before but not suspension LOL
ANYONE that has a SPORT with the overhead compartment, dont put anything that can roll up there hahahaha because the sound resonates to the passenger door!! wow that took me a long time to figure out. driving around with the whole passenger door dissembled LOL...

#4104256 - 04/06/21 10:22 PM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
bspurloc Offline
Climber

well, I was almost certain its front end..
I threw a kid in the back and had her listen.
She sat on the left side and she said it sounded and felt like it was coming from under her!!!!
UGH... this may be the ABS sensor hitting on the drivers side.
Im pretty sure I have new parking brake hardware in the left side.
I was mainly focusing on the right side, so now I will look closer at the left side.
The left is also new pads, rotors, new axle, new bearing.

I never thought to ask her before because generally the only time its loud for a bit is a right turning off ramp. otherwise I have to make an exaggerated turn.

#4104294 - 04/07/21 07:22 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Have you tried taking the back seat out to get a more direct sound?

Or maybe see if the kid will go for a short ride in the trunk. As long as she's not afraid of the dark.

Just a couple more ideas.
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

#4104302 - 04/07/21 09:56 AM Re: Metal on Metal right rear sound out of ideas [Re: bspurloc]
Rootintootin Offline
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Also, I was going to say something about wheel covers, but you must have the alloy wheels, which leaves that out. Still you might want to rotate the wheels to see if it goes away, or to a different location.
97 CVPI, 142K miles, small trans fluid leak from front seal area, water leaks to inside from evaporator housing and drivers side A pillar, cold weather glitch with wiper motor, headliner covering starting to flake off, tear in drivers seat bottom. Flickering, blinking radio display, What's next?

Who's Online
4 registered (PaulyPeligroso, LTC_Dave, VP71, TheCableGuy), 90 Guests and 287 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 155
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 53
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 44
Rainbowpizza 39
Ponyguy 39
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!