Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4104316 - 04/07/21 12:26 PM Insurance value
Darkant Offline
n00b

Loc: NJ
I had one of my Crown Vics stolen but found within a day without any damage other than having to replace all of the key locks. Through it all, I found out that the comprehensive insurance on it would have only valued the car around $1500 (the 2001 CVPI with 80k).

My question to the community is who are you insuring through, were you able to value the car correctly for the replacement cost and can you still use it as a daily driver? I’m in NJ and I share the 3 cars with my two teenage sons (over $5k for annual insurance when I add the family minivan... uggh

Links
#4104320 - 04/07/21 12:44 PM Re: Insurance value [Re: Darkant]
Davidzq Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
If your car is ever totalled, you can negotiate the value.
When my 07 was totalled, their valuation was $3200.
I negotiated up, final payout was $7800. I bought the car back for $366.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4104432 - 04/07/21 11:10 PM Re: Insurance value [Re: Darkant]
Ryan Offline

Grand Poobah

Loc: MA
I used to be a claims adjuster. Total loss cars are paid out at actual cash value, not replacement cost. Appraised value is generally only done on antiques. If a car is totaled you can sometimes buy it back from the insurance company for the value that they would have gotten for it at auction. However to get collision and comprehensive coverage back on it after repair you will usually need an inspection done on it to make sure the work was actually done. And you may or may not wind up with a salvage or reconstructed title. Your mileage may vary depending on state law.

#4104482 - 04/08/21 06:48 PM Re: Insurance value [Re: Darkant]
GM_Guy Offline
Posting Addict

Loc: London, Ontario Canada
Law here is if the insurance company totals it, instant salvage title and you got a long slog of $$$ to get a rebuilt title.

#4104522 - 04/08/21 10:47 PM Re: Insurance value [Re: GM_Guy]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By GM_Guy
Law here is if the insurance company totals it, instant salvage title and you got a long slog of $$$ to get a rebuilt title.

It depends on the damage. If they total it because of value and not structural damage it doesn't affect title. When it does get salvage title it's almost not worth dealing with. I've seen body shops repair something, had pictures of the progress, all the invoices and documented what was repaired and if they miss a picture of something it can rag on forever even if you can physically see there's no problem.

Moderator:  Chaplian, jmlock, Ryan, The_Punisher 
Who's Online
1 registered (MadMike90), 64 Guests and 274 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 155
Old_Guy_Stu 97
a_d_a_m 94
Moby_Vic 55
DudeAbides 53
CrystalPistol 50
TheCableGuy 47
RF_Overlord 44
Ponyguy 39
Rainbowpizza 38
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!