Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4111910 - 06/08/21 12:46 AM A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That?
WhyNot Offline
n00b

Loc: Illinois
Hello people,

I've been working on my 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis LS's rear desk (nothing special, just new speakers and some sound deadening) and I've found this:

Does it serve any purpose? Is is a kind of a cabin exhaust ventilation? A hole for the factory subwoofer? Thank you!

Links
#4111912 - 06/08/21 12:58 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
RF_Overlord Offline

Poobah

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By WhyNot
A hole for the factory subwoofer?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Trilogy Motorsports supercharged #61
Too many mods to list / Driveway Queen

'04 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition (Spruce Green)
Daily Driver (Thanks, Adam!)

'00 Grand Marquis GS (Silver)
Rotted frame and broken transmission crossmember
Being resurrected...slowly.

#4111916 - 06/08/21 01:50 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: RF_Overlord]
WhyNot Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By RF_Overlord
A hole for the factory subwoofer?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Hell yeah! Thank you very much. As I am not going to use it yet, I'll close it completely.

#4111918 - 06/08/21 01:52 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
Davidzq Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Both of your guesses are correct!
On civilian panthers, it was used by the factory option subwoofer.
On police interceptor's with the highest levels of Police Wiring Prep Package, there was a trunk circulation fan mounted there to keep police electronics mounted in the trunk cool.

2008 P71, Norsea Blue SAP
-Message Center cluster retrofit
-Towncar Signature L heated power seats
-Long overhead console
-Compustar remote start/security

#4112098 - 06/10/21 02:21 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: Davidzq]
WhyNot Offline
n00b

Originally Posted By Davidzq
Both of your guesses are correct!
there was a trunk circulation fan mounted there to keep police electronics mounted in the trunk cool.

Cool! Thank you. Perhaps I'll also put a fan over there to keep the trunk with the cooler inside cool.

I've found that some sellers on eBay are selling them for $149, while technically it's a cheap Chinese-made 12V fan and a metal plate.

#4112106 - 06/10/21 08:39 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
Davidzq Offline

[quote=Davidzq]
I've found that some sellers on eBay are selling them for $149, while technically it's a cheap Chinese-made 12V fan and a metal plate.

That's a terrible price! It's just a generic PC fan.
I have a few in my parts collection, $30 plus shipping, PM me.

On the equipped vics, the fan is hooked up to a run/acc circuit. So turns on whenever key is on. But you can hook it up any way you want (toggle switch thermostat, etc).

-Long overhead console

#4112186 - 06/10/21 09:30 PM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsylvania
Some may have had equipment there but those fans are usually for K-9 vehicles. There are a few right now on ebay removed from K-9 cruisers. It's extra insurance to prevent heat and Co2 buildup for the dog. I'm sure they're marked up but it should be very robust. When I was looking for my car I saw a few K-9 as they were still when in duty. Several had it wired to sense CO2 and temp to automatically turn on no matter what.

Edited by 2008interceptor (06/10/21 09:33 PM)

#4112190 - 06/10/21 10:33 PM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
2007CrownVic Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Canada
Like Davidzq said the fan is part of all but the two base prep packages.

"9. TRUNK AIR CIRCULATION FAN- Pulls air from passenger area into trunk to help climatize area for equipment."

I agree on price, you should be able to get something pretty cheap but it's no real reason it would be needed.

#4112198 - 06/11/21 01:10 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: 2008interceptor]
Davidzq Offline

Originally Posted By 2008interceptor
Some may have had equipment there but those fans are usually for K-9 vehicles. There are a few right now on ebay removed from K-9 cruisers. It's extra insurance to prevent heat and Co2 buildup for the dog. I'm sure they're marked up but it should be very robust. When I was looking for my car I saw a few K-9 as they were still when in duty. Several had it wired to sense CO2 and temp to automatically turn on no matter what.

The fans that come with some K9 cages are aftermarket, and part of the cage assembly. Typically mounted over one of the rear windows.

The fan assembly referred to above is a factory* item, and came on all vics ordered with the higher levels of prep package (there were 5 levels) regardless of the use of the car.
Here is a photo: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/TechArticles/images/CVY2Y/CV_TACF_P71_1.jpg

* - The Police Prep Package equipment/wiring were options on the order sheet, but installation was actually done by Crown Industries immediately after the car left the assembly line. But all items are Ford parts (or rather made in partnership with Ford, such as Federal Signal factory lighting/siren options).

-Long overhead console

#4112276 - 06/12/21 03:18 AM Re: A Big Hole in the Rear Deck Panel: What Is That? [Re: WhyNot]
2008interceptor Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: Pennsylvania
Ah I see now that does make sense. Must just be some places and sellers have theirs listed incorrectly. That or they figured a higher price might be doable if listed as K-9 vs equipment.

Who's Online
1 registered (symonds86), 53 Guests and 318 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 111
Old_Guy_Stu 85
Ponyguy 62
a_d_a_m 58
Moby_Vic 56
Dmblanch 46
DudeAbides 41
JeffBoudah 36
Lance01 35
Davidzq 33
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!