Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4125466 - 10/23/21 03:41 PM Ballistic Panels Install Notes
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
I finally found a set of Ballistic Panels made by BLS Textiles and with a Ford engineering number. The internet says they were a $2,400 option. Mine for $32 plus my time and some cussing at the JY. After watching this video, the panels were getting installed.

Here are passenger side panels. If using PC, right click to view full size image.

Spec sheet.

There are no YT videos on installing the panels. I looked but did not find written instructions. I practically destroyed the donor door getting the panels out which was good practice for my vehicle. Here are my notes. I'm going to shortcut a lot of it because I'm assuming you know how to dis-assemble a door. Sorry, no pictures or video of the install.

1. Remove door panel.
2. Remove door mirror.
3. Remove inner and outer window weather strips. Outer strip is held by one nut. Pry upwards and pull back.
4. Remove DDM.
5. Remove bolts for window tracks, there is one on each side.
6. Remove window. You will need two 1 or 1 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch screws and nylon bolts to reinstall window.
7. Remove window regulator assembly. There are two nuts at top and two rivets at bottom. Two more bolts and nuts needed to reinstall. 1 x 1/4 is good.
8. Remove speaker.
9. Install threaded inserts on door intrusion bar flanges, there are two, Also install inserts on panels, two more.
7. Hang panels on sill. Wiggle them to align with threaded inserts. Rear, top, and bottom screws are easy enough. The front screw is a pain. I used blue painters tape to secure the nut to the socket. After a lot of cussing, I managed to seat the screw.
8. Install all door components. The hardest part is putting the window back as the panels eat up access space. Roll regulator down near the bottom to give more space. Reach from behind to insert screw. The screw on the right is tricky. Use close ended socket wrench and tape screw to wrench. With some patience and a lot of cussing, the screw will go in from the back. Leave wrench in place. Once screw threads are accessible, roll window to position where the electrical connector is. This gives straight shot to the screw. Tape nut to socket. I used a wad of tape in the socket to level the nut with the socket opening.
9. Outer weather strip may not fit over the panel hangers. Simply widen the opening by hand.

2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

Links
#4125512 - 10/24/21 06:40 AM Re: Ballistic Panels Install Notes [Re: SocalSam]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Really impressive that those will stop an AK round. But the glass still won't. I imagine the intended use is to use the open door as a shield in tactical situations rather than as protection in daily driving.

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 56K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4125778 - 10/25/21 09:35 PM Re: Ballistic Panels Install Notes [Re: SocalSam]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Installed passenger panels today. Once again, the hardest part was re-installing the window. This time, I taped the screw to the window. This was much easier.

Door disassembled.

Panels hang on outer sill.

Location of forward threaded insert on intrusion bar flange.

Rear threaded insert.

Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4126314 - 10/28/21 08:32 PM Re: Ballistic Panels Install Notes [Re: SocalSam]
Hound Offline

Loc: Virginia
That's an awesome find at a junk yard!

#4126622 - 10/31/21 07:17 PM Re: Ballistic Panels Install Notes [Re: Hound]
SocalSam Offline
Over the Hill

Originally Posted By Hound
That's an awesome find at a junk yard!

Yup, JY find. Checkout person had no idea what they were.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 119
SocalSam 87
Ponyguy 62
Dmblanch 53
RF_Overlord 48
Moby_Vic 48
Davidzq 47
DudeAbides 44
Old_Guy_Stu 43
Armada Master 42
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!