Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4126210 - 10/28/21 06:59 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: GM_Guy]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Loc: Northeast Florida
Originally Posted By GM_Guy
don't need an account with imgur. Just click "new post" up at the top left, upload picture, upload another and copy the links to here, be it the album itself, or individual photos.

I looked at that on my iPad and iPhone. Do not see a “new post” button. Only get app. When I click that it, it takes me to IMGUR GIF and Meme Maker.
'04 Ice Blue P73, MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, Aftermarket Marauder front and rear bumpers, Bumper Tuck, blacked out headlights, Marauder corner lights, Marauder fog lights, GCC Grill, body colored mirror shells. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

Links
#4126284 - 10/28/21 02:43 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Here are pics of what I used.
1 connected harness, 2 and 3 Unmodified CV harness showing 4 wires and pins. , 4 and 5 GM harness.

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/28/21 04:51 PM)
'04 Ice Blue P73, MZT Mod with ADTR intake pipe, Ported Plenum, BBK 70mm TB, BOC 93 Octane Tune, Dual exhaust with Magnaflows and MM tips, Fanblades with 235/50/18 Front - 245/55/18 Rear, KYB Shocks, Adco swaybars, Marauder Rear Spoiler, Aftermarket Marauder front and rear bumpers, Bumper Tuck, blacked out headlights, Marauder corner lights, Marauder fog lights, GCC Grill, body colored mirror shells. (MM cluster waiting for install.)

#4126374 - 10/29/21 06:32 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

What doesn’t make sense in this is that my 2004 Owner’s Guide says fuse # 27 is LCM for cornering lamps and high beam headlamps. Yet when the fuse is blown I have no headlamps at all (no high or low), but the cornering lamps work. With a good fuse I have headlamps but no cornering lamps.

#4126392 - 10/29/21 09:01 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

According to this link,
https://fuse-box.info/mercury/mercury-grand-marquis-2003-2011-fuses-and-relay
The 2003 and 2004 GM fuse 27 is the same. I wonder what happens to the cornering lights on an 03 or 04 GM when fuse 27 is pulled.

If you read Quasar’s post in this thread, it supports what I’ve said.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2924917

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/29/21 09:14 AM)

#4126398 - 10/29/21 11:54 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: TX
Based on this picture:

It would appear that your engine bay harness came with the wiring for the cornering lights. This picture is of your pax side, correct? As I recall the WH-LB is the turn signal, the BR-WH is the cornering light, the BR is the parking light and BK is ground. Did you look at the driver's side? As I recall VT-YE is the cornering light and LG-WH is the blinker, with parking and ground the same. Anyway it would appear that your harness is ok. It also looks like the pinouts in your fender connectors (4 wires) match the pinouts for the cornering light harness. Did you verify that? It appears to be the case but it is kinda difficult to determine that from these pictures.

Anyway, assuming that the wires match and that your engine bay harness has what it needs, now you need to verify that you have the wiring that runs from the firewall connector (C260) to the multifunction switch (C202C). One would presume that it is present, but until you verify you can't say for certain. As I recall the driver's side VT-YE should be at pin 1 and the BR-WH should be found at pin 3 in C202C. So let's start with that.

Also, do you have a diagram for your 2004 or are you just working off of videos and a CVN thread? The diagram is what you should be referring to, all else ... well it can be helpful but it can also lead you down a rabbit trail. I have 2006 diagrams that I referred to, as our LX Sport is a 2006, and what I know regarding the cornering lights is based off of those diagrams. So the real question is whether or not they changed in those two years. I rather doubt that it did, but you never know. What I do know is that Ford discontinued the inclusion of some of the relevant wiring sometime in 2005, which is why our engine bay harness didn't have the wiring that yours appears to have. Be thankful for that, otherwise you'd have to run the wiring yourself. In my case that was relatively easy because I had torn the car apart by that point in time. If you hadn't done that you would have had to dig for the engine bay harness, but I digress.

So if you could post pictures of the 2004 wiring diagrams it would help to verify any differences.

Finally, what is your configuration now? I presume that you have a set of GMQ side lights, which have both the parking and the cornering lights in them? Are you still running your CV headlights that have both the headlight and a turn signal light?

Edited by av8or1 (10/29/21 11:56 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE
1970 Plymouth Road Runner A383 pistol grip tick-tock buckets

#4126402 - 10/29/21 12:49 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

I don’t have a diagram. My current configuration is CV headlights with Marauder corners. So with the harnesses I’m using, I have a turn signal on both sides of the headlight. I assume the wiring from the firewall connector is there. Otherwise, how would it light at all. As I’ve said the cornering lights work when fuse 27 is pulled. But I will look at the connector.

#4126406 - 10/29/21 02:58 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

Couldn’t find a diagram on line. Just ordered the Ford 2004 Crown Vic wiring book on EBay.

#4126490 - 10/30/21 10:37 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Well I wouldn't get too bent around the axle regarding fuse 27 in your CJB. It doesn't matter what happens when it is INOP unless you want to go without headlights. 'Point being that there could be a reason other than what you have concluded for why your cornering lights illuminate when that fuse is INOP. Heck, the BR wire (which ultimately provides power to both the parking and cornering lights) is spliced downstream of the corner connectors (C1010 and C1019) and within the GMQ cornering light sub-harness. If a ground was being supplied on the other end, then the lights would illuminate for other reasons that could be related to the missing fuse. But it depends on the wiring that is present. I digress. As mentioned, it's kinda pointless to spend time investingating what happens when that fuse isn't working, so I won't address that again. Does your P73 have autolamps or CVPI headlamps? I suspect the latter, but that would be good to know.

And there is at least one difference between your 2004 and our 2006: fuse 27 for us is not the headlight/LCM but rather the DLC and power port/"cigar lighter". Anyway ...

Did you crack open your steering column and take a look at your C202C? It should look like this:

Finally, you stated that your cornering lights don't work when F27 is present. How did you test your cornering lights?

Edited by av8or1 (10/30/21 11:37 AM)
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4126568 - 10/31/21 08:25 AM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

I got it working. I broke out the multi-meter and checked the MGM harness using this pin out.

I found the ground wire of the corner light socket was spliced to into the brown wire on pin 3 (parking) of the connector (as in image below) instead of pin 1 (ground). Spliced it, instead, to the black wire on pin 1 wire. It works now.

In the image below pins 1 & 2 are at the top of the connector and the spice is on the brown wire it pin 3.

I guess with the way it was wired, when fuse 27 was out, the cornering lamp got power from the parking light wire and found its way to ground through the MFS when turning on the turn signal

Edited by Florida_Mike (10/31/21 08:37 AM)

#4126580 - 10/31/21 12:37 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
av8or1 Offline

Over the Hill

Yup, that would do it. As I mentioned, it was getting ground from somewhere. No way to know that this was the cause unless you tore apart that harness. This is where I would have headed next...

Glad that you were able to fashion a successful repair. Congratulations!
1985 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE

#4126602 - 10/31/21 05:02 PM Re: Help. Headlights and instrument panel lights out. [Re: Florida_Mike]
Florida_Mike Offline
Climber

The youtube video I posted earlier mentioned swapping pins 1 & 3, but I wasn’t feeling that was the way to go.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 119
SocalSam 87
Ponyguy 62
Dmblanch 53
RF_Overlord 48
Moby_Vic 48
Davidzq 47
DudeAbides 44
Old_Guy_Stu 43
Armada Master 42
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!