Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4132706 - 01/11/22 10:06 PM Burning Smell On Cold Start Only
46Mod99 Offline
n00b

Loc: Hudson, New Hampshire
I recently (last summer) had my 99 LTC get engine work at a shop, to replace head gaskets (and plane heads), oil pan and gasket, rear main seal, timing chain and tensioners, and valve cover gaskets. Rationale being stop oil leakage primarily from the head gaskets leaking onto the exhaust, which I'd smell on vent coming to stops. The shop wound up replacing an exhaust manifold as well, I suppose the original broke in removing the engine.

Since the repair, if there's any oil leakage remaining it's minimal enough I don't breathe in oil at red lights anymore.

But the car now has a new behavior. On cold starts only, such as the first start of the day or after sitting for a few hours, a few seconds after startup there's a strong crisp burning smell through the vents that lasts for about fifteen seconds, it's almost like gasoline, nothing like antifreeze or oil. It doesn't reoccur on restarts. It didn't do this before the repair.

If it's burn-in smell from the new manifold it hasn't diminished at all despite it being several months since the repair.

The car still has the original plastic intake manifold. I don't see any obvious or significant antifreeze leakage, although the smell is nothing like antifreeze.

I'm under shop warranty and I do intend to take it back soon for their opinion / ideas and check if any oil leakage is reoccurring where repairs had been done. I'm wondering if anyone has any similar experience with this issue to know what's likely the cause of the burning smell.... thanks.

Edited by 46Mod99 (01/11/22 10:14 PM)

Links
#4132796 - 01/12/22 09:46 PM Re: Burning Smell On Cold Start Only [Re: 46Mod99]
46Mod99 Offline
n00b

Loc: Hudson, New Hampshire
Did a little sniffing around today, smell is only detectable on the passenger side of the engine and it is strongest five to fifteen seconds after a cold start. However my passengers tell me they smell it entering the vehicle.

I'm suspecting it's an exhaust manifold or gasket leak from the new manifold or gasket, which my shop receipt suggests are from Dorman. It's a foreign smell to me because I'm not used to smelling exhaust other than after passing through the cats. This also explains why I get drowsy fast on long drives.... it's going back to the shop LOL.

#4132914 - 01/14/22 12:08 PM Re: Burning Smell On Cold Start Only [Re: 46Mod99]
metalpanther Offline
Rookie

Loc: USA
Does sound like an exhaust leak.
If I'm not mistaken, modern cars tend to run rich on gas before the car has warmed up. That may be why its so noticeable on cold start

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!