Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4132874 - 01/13/22 11:59 PM '86 Crown Victoria Idle Problem?
Panda89 Offline
Stranger

Loc: WA
Hi, new here. Howdy all! I have looked around the forum for this issue and came across a couple threads, but it didn't seem like they matched my situation fully, so I thought I would ask for some opinions.

I just got my Crown Victoria back from the shop. My mechanic had me take it for a spin to see if the problem I had still persisted. (I'm not a mechanic, but the gist is the car would just start missing at one specific rpm. Felt like you've just ran out of gas while driving.) The car idled and drove perfectly.

It wasn't until we had noticed the ground cable was not only loose, but the connector was cracked. Both cables were pretty old and beaten up at this point so we decided to just replace the cables entirely.

This is where the idle problem started. Not too noticeable in park or neutral, but incredibly noticeable surging while stopped in gear. After the car has warmed up, if you stuck it in reverse, the car would die completely unless you had your foot on the accelerator slightly.

I believe the ECM controls the idle right? Since the battery was disconnected for a bit, is it possible the ECM has to relearn the idle?

Again, I'm no mechanic. I can do basic maintenance, but if it's possible for me to learn, maybe I could fix this issue myself instead of taking it back to my own mechanic.

Appreciate any insight.

#4132878 - 01/14/22 05:39 AM Re: '86 Crown Victoria Idle Problem? [Re: Panda89]
Old_Guy_Stu Offline

Over the Hill

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Check for vacuum leaks? Check EGR valve? Those are common problem areas. How many miles?

1988 CVLX Formal Roof (Love Boat) POTM July 2019, Aug 2020, & Oct 2021, 58K
E-code lights w/ relays, LEDs w/ switchbacks, 15x8 Ansen slots w/ 255/60 BFG's, Kenwood stereo, various hacks.
This, of course, was merely the semi-delirious notion of a fever-patient, but I remember that it struck me at the time as being eminently practical and feasible.

#4132956 - 01/14/22 06:04 PM Re: '86 Crown Victoria Idle Problem? [Re: Old_Guy_Stu]
Panda89 Offline
Stranger

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By Old_Guy_Stu
Check for vacuum leaks? Check EGR valve? Those are common problem areas. How many miles?

It's got about 178k on it. The EGR is newish.

The problem is this only started after the battery was disconnected and reconnected. Certainly it couldn't be a vacuum leak unless something was jostled? I don't know if there's even anything around the battery that could be.

I'll check though and update how it goes just to make sure.

Edited by Panda89 (01/14/22 06:07 PM)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!