Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! registry | CVN on Facebook | tech | news | email login Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!

Welcome to CVN - Your Panther platform headquarters!

Custom Search

Topic Options
#4132896 - 01/14/22 08:36 AM Brief smoke while stopped
mkpctv Offline

Loc: South FL
Hi again everyone, the issues keep coming one after another now.

I got the replacement ABS module installed and the dash lights went out, hoping that takes care of that issue, thanks again to everyone who helped me with that.

Recently I've been seeing a cloud of white smoke from the upper hood driver side area, I know what other burned fluids/plastic smells like but this seems to smell like brake fluid. Strange thing is, this only happens after the car has been sitting overnight and I've driven a couple miles afterwards. I'll be at a stop light on the way to work and see a cloud of white smoke, afterwards it wont do it again the rest of the day. I checked around under the hood, engine running, no burn marks anywhere, no visible leaks, not overheating. Right now I suspect an internal leak at the master cylinder or brake booster however there has been no drop in brake fluid level, or any fluid level for that matter. I'm aggravated and puzzled right now...

In the past:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1988/1983 Chevrolet Caprice

Links
#4132902 - 01/14/22 09:28 AM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
SocalSam Online   content
Over the Hill

Loc: SFV, Calif.
Brake fluid may be over filled if at Max at rest. Suck out a little fluid to see if that stops over flow.
2004 CV LX Sport #2, 121,000 miles -- Current
2008 CVPI Arizona Beige, 121,000 miles, 677 idle hours -- Current
Option Adds: Message Center Instrument Cluster , Re-Key Locks , Passenger Door Lock , Autolamps , Ballistic Panels

#4132924 - 01/14/22 02:05 PM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
mkpctv Offline

Ok I will try that first. I'll feel around the lines for any signs of fluid seepage, maybe something is hitting the hot exhaust manifold sometimes as well, but I don't see loss of any fluids as of yet...

In the past:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

#4132974 - Yesterday at 07:06 AM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
ironmarinebill64 Offline
Rookie

Loc: New York, USA
You're from Florida, so this might not be the issue, but look at the steel brake lines where they come out of the master cylinder. If there's any corrosion, especially at the bends, a very small pin hole can develop where every time you press the brake, a little fluid can squirt or seep out.

I had an older full size jeep where that happened because of road salt induced corrosion. Similar symptom though: would come to a light, step on the brake and get a puff of white smoke.
5.4 liter throttle body; PI oil cooler, intake tube & air box; Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft; Trac-Lok limited slip; Richmond Gear axle shafts; J-Mod with Sonnax valves; Limo rear control arms and a great sounding stereo that won't ever automatically remember my Bluetooth settings

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (gave that to youngest son, and he's now a converted true believer)

#4132982 - Yesterday at 09:01 AM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: ironmarinebill64]
mkpctv Offline

Originally Posted By ironmarinebill64
You're from Florida, so this might not be the issue, but look at the steel brake lines where they come out of the master cylinder. If there's any corrosion, especially at the bends, a very small pin hole can develop where every time you press the brake, a little fluid can squirt or seep out.

I had an older full size jeep where that happened because of road salt induced corrosion. Similar symptom though: would come to a light, step on the brake and get a puff of white smoke.

I actually work on the beach so my car is subject to salty air conditions almost daily (i try my best to rinse the car often) so thats possible. I'm going to look at the lines more closely this weekend.

In the past:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

#4132984 - Yesterday at 10:42 AM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
Rootintootin Online   content
Climber

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By mkpctv
....I'll be at a stop light on the way to work and see a cloud of white smoke....

You're in South FL. What says you can't make like you're 80 years old; stop when you see the smoke; and pop the hood for a look-see? You might actually see where it's coming from instead of trying to guess where it was later on.

#4133018 - Yesterday at 06:14 PM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
mkpctv Offline

Well I kind of did that today, I let the motor run for about 10 minutes then took a hose and let water trickle down the windshield and started to notice the same smoke happening a little bit. I opened up the long plastic piece that clips together where the water drains under and inside was packed full of leaves. After studying the windshield drain it looks like it flows into a gutter then goes down and terminates just above the first cat converter. Strange thing is The water drained fine even before I cleaned out all the leaves. Is the little gutter supposed to terminate right above the cat converter? You’d think water dripping onto that area would constantly cause steam/smoke.

I’m not convinced that was the cause of the smoke still, The smoke happens even on a dry morning and I even pumped the brake pedal and had it held down while I checked over everything no signs of any fluid leak or smoke otherwise still.

In the past:
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt

#4133020 - Yesterday at 06:47 PM Re: Brief smoke while stopped [Re: mkpctv]
Bellwestern80 Offline

CVN Discord: Edsel
Over the Hill

Loc: Evans, Georgia
Valve covers aren't weeping/seeping down onto the exhaust manifolds, are they?

My Cars:
-1964 Mercury Comet 202 (116K Miles | 170 I6) - Restoration Project
-1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles | 360 V8) - Waiting on a TorqueFlite
-1987 Mercury Colony Park LS (330K Miles | H.O. 302) - March 2017, November 2019, & September 2021 POTM Winner
-1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles | nPI 4.6) - The Daily Workhorse & April 2013 POTM Winner

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 79 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
bluejay_32 70
SocalSam 68
Old_Guy_Stu 58
a_d_a_m 58
hot__box 56
2011CVPI 53
RF_Overlord 48
GrumpMarky 37
hkerekes 33
Dmblanch 31
Member Spotlight

Copyright 2000-2015 by Crownvic.net and Steve Spaulding. All Rights Reserved.
The photographs, graphics and data contained in this Web site are the properties of the contributors, or Crownvic.net and may not be used without expressed written consent.
Crownvic.net is not affiliated with the Ford motor company.

Happily consuming the fuel saved by Prius owners!