Originally Posted By GrandMarq9807
Originally Posted By 2kGM
Any old Windsor block will drop right in. But as it's a four-cylinder, why not be amusing and put the SHO turbo 2.3 in it?

The 2.3 turbo that would fit were used in '84-'86 SVO Mustangs and '83-'88 Turbo Coupe T-Birds... A donor T-Bird could give the parts needed, most of those were 5-speed with Traction Lock 8'8" rear and 3.55 gears('87 & '88)... I looked for approx a year at the auctions to find one optioned with automatic that I used for my 5.0/AOD swap...

The late 2.3 with all the computer controls, DBW etc would be a nightmare... If a stand alone harness could be sourced most of the work would be fitment...

Around the time that the first turbo Mustangs and Capris were arriving, in 1980-1981 or so, the big rumor was that Ford would also be installing the turbo 2.3 in the Fairmont and Zephyr. There are indeed pre-production photos of a Fairmont Sport Coupe with a specific "turbo bulge" hood, but it's unclear as to whether Ford ever actually built any cars beyond prototypes (pre-production or otherwise) with the turbo motor.

I'll dig around and see if I can find the pic online.

Duncan biggrin