Not a dumb question. I've done it before in a pinch. But basically comes down to the desired longevity of the repair work. You jamb a hose on there with some gear fittings and eventually, with repeated heat cycles, things work loose and leak. And it happens where you can't see what's going on. Also, to do that right, you'd want to make sure you flair the cut ends of the tube so that the repair hose would seal properly.

If knowledge serves me correctly, the original, pre-98 set-up used a custom fitted rubber hose with steel ends. But those often would corrode or degrade from rubbing on the block and cause leaks in the valley. That's why Ford went to a single steel line.
5.4 liter throttle body; PI oil cooler, intake tube & air box; Mark VIII aluminum driveshaft; Trac-Lok limited slip; Richmond Gear axle shafts; J-Mod with Sonnax valves; Limo rear control arms and a great sounding stereo that won't ever automatically remember my Bluetooth settings

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (gave that to youngest son, and he's now a converted true believer)